IMPORTANCE OF DONATIONS
One hundred percent of the more than 150,000 items for sale at the Bainbridge Island Rotary Auction & Rummage Sale are donated by generous people like you. For many decades, the concept of “Spring Cleaning” has included setting aside valued, but no longer needed items, for the Sale. Sometimes these items are accumulated for months before the Auction & Rummage Sale. Quite literally, the Rotary Club could not hold the Sale without these tax deductible (see below) donations.
HOW TO MAKE A DONATION
There are a limited number of items the Rotary Club cannot accept (see below). Otherwise, you are encouraged to collect and, when appropriate, box or bag whatever you want to donate for delivery by vehicle to Woodward Middle School. In boxing and bagging items, please remember both you and the people working at the Auction & Rummage Sale need to be able to lift and carry them without great physical exertion. If a bag or box is too heavy for you, it probably will be too heavy for us! Also, if a donated item has component parts, please make an effort to pack them together. With the very high number of donations coming in every hour, it is far too easy for component parts to be separated in the shuffle. Finally, the Auction & Rummage Sale’s customers are generally interested in buying items that are unbroken and in proper working order.
WHEN AND WHERE TO MAKE A DONATION
The schedule for donations is:
- Dates: Friday, June 22, 2018 through Wednesday, June 27, 2018
- Times: 8:00 AM until 8:00 PM
- Where: South entrance gate to Woodward Middle School. For a map showing the location of the school CLICK HERE
WHAT TO EXPECT
When you arrive at the south entrance gate, you will be greeted by members of the Receiving Committee. The members will:
- Thank you for your donations.
- Talk to you about your donations to determine whether they include any items we do not accept (see below) or for which we charge a disposal fee (see below).
- Collect disposal fees for select items.
- Provide you with a Tax Receipt Form.
- Direct you to the Curb in front of the school building where the items will be offloaded by members of the Curb Committee.
The Curb is located a short distance from the gate, and is a very busy place. Please drive slowly, watch out for people and other vehicles, and follow any guidance you receive on where to position your vehicle along the Curb. When you arrive, please turn off your ignition.
As quickly as possible, you will be approached by people who will thank you again for your donations, and make sure you have your Tax Receipt Form. If your items include furniture, large appliances, building materials, bicycles, camping equipment, and/or beds and mattresses, you will be asked to keep those items in your vehicle and proceed to secondary offloading site(s) located in the south or north parking lots.
People working at the Curb and the secondary offloading sites are eager to offload your donations as quickly as possible. To help them, it would be helpful for you to:
- Get out of your vehicle.
- Point out the items to be donated to ensure they are the only things removed from your vehicle.
- Provide the people offloading your vehicle information about any item(s) you feel need(s) careful (fragile) or special (valuable) handling.
After all of your donations have been offloaded, please proceed to either the south or north gate to exit the school campus. While you are doing so, please drive slowly and watch out for people and other vehicles.
WHAT WE DO NOT ACCEPT
For a list of items we do not accept CLICK HERE. These items:
- Are ones we know from experience are very difficult, if not impossible, to sell (e.g. used tires).
- Are dangerous to handle (e.g., hazardous materials).
- Need a warranty that we are not capable of offering the Auction & Rummage Sale’s customers (e.g. car seats for infants).
ITEMS SUBJECT TO A DISPOSAL FEE
For a list of items that require a disposal fee, and the amount of the fee CLICK HERE. These items are ones that, if unsold, are costly for the Rotary Club to dispose of after the Auction & Rummage Sale. You will be asked to pay a fee for these items by the Receiving Department when you first arrive at Woodward Middle School.
ISLAND PICKUP SERVICE
As a service to residents of Bainbridge Island the Rotary Club of Bainbridge Island has an Island Pickup Service for bringing donations to Woodward Middle School. This service is available only to addresses on Bainbridge Island.
Because of the growing cost of providing this service (truck rentals, fuel, insurance, and labor), the Rotary Club has implemented a pickup charge for the service. Only cash or checks are accepted for payment of the pickup charges. There are two “classes” and charge levels for the pickup service:
- $25 for less than ½ truckload, $50 / full truckload: for individuals who are unable, due to age or medical condition, or donation size/weight to load and transport items they want to donate.
- $75 for less than ½ truckload, $150 / full truckload: for all others
Disposal fees will be collected and added to these pickup charges. CLICK HERE for details.
Note: Only cash or checks are accepted for payment of the pickup charges and disposal fees.
Who: Bainbridge Island addresses only
When: Saturday, June 23; Sunday, June 24 and Monday, June 25.
Pickup Times: Scheduled pickups (conducted by Rotarians) occur between 9:00 AM and 8:00 PM
How to arrange for a pickup: Starting Saturday, June 2 through Saturday, June 23, CLICK HERE to complete the Island Pickup Request form. Note: if you do not have a computer to complete the form, you can call 206.842.9111 and leave a message between Monday, June 11 and Saturday, June 23.
When you make a donation, you are making it possible for the Rotary Club to have a successful Auction & Rummage Sale. Your contributions, which are tax deductible, when sold, generate the revenue used by the Rotary Club to support a wide variety of local community, and international humanitarian projects and other worthy causes. For more information on “Where the Money Goes” CLICK HERE.
CLICK HERE for more info on donating a vehicle or a boat.