Approximately one-third of an Auction & Rummage Sale’s net proceeds are used to fund Community Grants.
The Rotary Club of Bainbridge Island has a long and proud history of providing grants to support diverse community projects, dating back to the Club’s founding in 1947. Members of the Rotary Club of Bainbridge Island are stewards of funds we raise at our yearly Rotary Auction & Rummage Sale. We strive to manage funds in an effective, appropriate, and timely manner, and to ensure that grant awards result in positive impacts in our community.
Any qualified nonprofit organization that serves the Bainbridge Island community is eligible to apply for a community grant from the Rotary Club of Bainbridge Island. Each year grant funding is made possible from the preceding year’s Rotary Auction & Rummage Sale proceeds. Your donations to the Auction & Rummage Sale are at work doing great things for the people of Bainbridge Island!
For information about the Community Grant application process, visit Community Grants Application Procedures.
Here is a list of past Community Grant recipients and descriptions of their funded projects.
In 2016, grants totaling $117,904 were awarded to the organizations listed below:
- Association of Bainbridge Communities: Waterfront trailhead improvements.
- Bainbridge Artisan Resource Network: Table saw and joining system.
- Bainbridge Arts & Crafts: Public address system for the gallery spaces.
- Bainbridge Chorale: Performance dresses, blouses and neckties.
- Bainbridge High School: Chromebooks and a storage cart for Mobile Career Exploration.
- Bainbridge High School: Equipment for a new Student Store.
- Bainbridge Island Historical Museum: Large format flat document and artifact scanning system.
Bainbridge Island Land Trust: Stewardship truck (partial funding).
- Bainbridge Island Mountain Bike Club: Bike trailer, team race equipment, and support gear.
- Bainbridge Island Water Polo Club: Shot clocks and controller for new scoreboard.
- Bainbridge Performing Arts: Assisted listening enhancements.
- Bainbridge Youth Services: Donor database software.
- Battle Point Astronomical Association: Educational materials for the BPAstro Kids Program.
- BI Metro Park & Recreation District: Kiln for Eagledale Pottery Studio.
- BI Metro Park & Recreation District: Self-contained restroom.
- BI Senior Community Center: Storage shed for the Thrift Shop.
- BI Special Needs Foundation: Technology and communications upgrades.
- Boys & Girls Club of Bainbridge Island: Kitchen equipment.
- Friends of BHS Sailing: Sailboat replacement.
- Friends of the Farms: Enhancements for Harvest Fair.
- Helpline House: New food preparation sink and faucet for Food Bank.
- Horse Harbor Foundation: Renovation of existing paddock system.
- Housing Resources Bainbridge: Bicycle parking shelter for Island Home East Apartment Complex.
- Kids Discovery Museum: Solar-powered teaching water table.
- Kitsap Children’s Musical Theater: New microphones for performances.
- Kitsap County Coroner: Safe infant cribs for low-income families.
- Kitsap Humane Society: Pet Adoption Outreach Van (partial funding).
- Marge Williams Center: Conference room technology and furniture upgrade.
- North Kitsap Trails Association: Resting bench between Winslow and High School Road.
- Olympic College Foundation: Field and lab equipment for the Yama Project.
In 2015, grants totaling $123,245 were awarded to the organizations listed below:
- Bainbridge Artisan Resource Network: Classroom teaching tools.
- Bainbridge Cooperative Nursery School: Replacement of old windows with new energy-efficient windows.
- Bainbridge High School Football Boosters: Athlete safety equipment.
- Bainbridge Island Historical Museum: Computers, monitors. and software.
- Bainbridge Island Metro Parks & Recreation District: 3-meter diving board ladder at Don Nakata pool and another to add lighting to sign at Rotary Centennial Park.
- Bainbridge Island Rowing: New motor for existing safety launch; anti-exposure suits for each coach.
- Bainbridge Island Special Needs Foundation: iPads and printer.
- Bainbridge Island Swim Club Boosters [Challenge grant]: New scoreboard at Aquatic Center.
- Bainbridge Island Water Polo Club: Equipment.
- Bainbridge Schools Foundation: Robotics program.
- Bainbridge Youth Services: Desktop office computers and tablet.
- Boys and Girls Club of Bainbridge Island: Child-sized furniture (couches; tables; chairs).
- EMPACT Northwest: Safety, communication, and rescue equipment.
- Friends of the Farms: Equipment for Suyematsu Farm Historic Barn Restoration project.
- Housing Resources Board: Expansion of playground at Ferncliff Village.
- Island Time Activities: iPads with special software, printer, and laminator.
- Kitsap Humane Society: New kitten housing units.
- Lynwood Community Market: “Stump hops” for Schel Chelb Park.
- Olympic College Foundation: Field and lab equipment for 3-year archeological Yama Project.
- Olympic Mountain Rescue: 13 new handheld radios for field communication.
- OUT There Adventures: Sea kayak(s) and associated equipment.
- PAWS of Bainbridge Island and North Kitsap: New washer and dryer for cattery on Bainbridge Island.
- Peacock Family Center: Upgrade for playground equipment.
In 2014, grants totaling $127,960 were awarded to the organizations listed below:
- KiDiMu: Exhibits to help children learn about public safety and emergency preparedness.
- Lynwood Community Market and Bainbridge Island Metro Parks & Recreation: Equipment for new playground at Schel Chelb Park.
- Hope House: Replacement of vinyl kitchen floor.
- West Sound Wildlife Shelter: [Challenge Grant] Funds for rescue vehicle with ambulance package.
- Helpline House: Replacement of outdated computers.
- Bainbridge Chorale: New office printer for printing concert programs, tickets, and general office use.
- Montessori Country School: Replacement of flooring in classrooms at their elementary campus.
- Bainbridge Cooperative Nursery School: Replacement of ductless heating system.
- Bainbridge Public Library: Installation of hearing loop system in Community Room to improve listening clarity for individuals with hearing impairments.
- Bainbridge Youth Services: Chairs, bookshelf, wide spectrum lights.
- Bainbridge Island Youth Orchestras: New musician chairs.
- Battle Point Astronomical Association: Solar telescope.
- Bloedel Reserve: [Challenge Grant] New pickup truck.
- Bainbridge Schools Foundation: Funds for robotics for four elementary schools.
- BI Metro Parks & Recreation: Installation of two automatic door openers at aquatic center.
- IslandWood: Beekeeping equipment for Garden Classroom.
- Bainbridge Island Grange: Equipment to improve theater stage.
- Bainbridge High School: Downdraft sanding table for vocational trades program.
- Sustainable Bainbridge: Radio studio production equipment.
- Bainbridge Island Downtown Association: Holiday stars-and-scrolls lights.
- Bainbridge Island Museum of Art: Equipment for Education and Schools Programs.
- Bainbridge Performing Arts: New computers.
- Smile Partners: New dental equipment and improvements at Senior Center dental clinic.
- BHS Instrumental Boosters: New drum-line equipment.
- Bainbridge Island Metro Parks & Recreation District: Building and installing of sign display grid at Rotary Centennial Park.
- Sustainable Bainbridge’s Student Conservation Corps: Tools and canopy to be used during eradication of invasive weeds in our parks.
- Bainbridge Arts and Humanities Council: Projector and sound system (available to loan to other nonprofits).
In 2013, grants totaling $96,114 were awarded to the organizations listed below:
- Bainbridge Artisan Resource Network: Equipment for new maker space.
- Bainbridge Parks and Recreation: [Challenge Grant] Completion of Hilltop Cabin restoration.
- Bainbridge Island Historical Museum: Replacement of carpet in the museum’s library with hardwood flooring.
- Bainbridge Island Museum of Art: Audio-visual equipment.
- Bainbridge Island Special Needs Foundation: New flooring at Stephens House.
- Bainbridge Roller Hockey League: [Challenge Grant] Permanent fencing system around roller hockey rink at Battle Point Park.
- Bainbridge Youth Services: Office furniture and technology to improve youth access to a BYS counselor.
- Boys & Girls Club of Bainbridge Island: [Challenge Grant] Funds to help purchase 15-passenger mini-bus.
- Friends of Bainbridge High School Sailing: New Flying Junior sailboat.
- Friends of the Farms: New shed and barn upgrades at Johnson Farm and Recreation Area.
- Helpline House: Upgrades to HVAC system.
- Horse Harbor Foundation: Re-surfacing of riding arena and re-graveling of paddocks.
- Island Music Guild: Purchase and installation of electronic security system.
- Kitsap Children’s Musical Theater: Flooring for rehearsal facility.
- Kitsap Humane Society: Spay/neuter surgical instruments.
- PAWS of Bainbridge Island and North Kitsap: Cat enclosures for new adoption facility at Pleasant Beach Village.
In 2012, grants totaling $103,339 were awarded to the organizations listed below:
American Legion: [Challenge Grant] Replacement of 45-year-old furnace.
- Bainbridge Chorale: Performance attire (blouses and neckties) for Young Singers (grades 4 – 8).
- Bainbridge Island Lacrosse: Weighted canopies to shelter volunteers and scorekeepers year-round during games.
- Bainbridge Island Land Trust: Renovation of Prue’s House on the Hilltop addition to Grand Forest available to the community for meetings, children’s activities, and afterschool programs.
- Bainbridge Performing Arts: Equipment and improvements to educational annex.
- Bainbridge Public Library: Furnishings as part of remodel of Teen Study and Program Room.
- Bainbridge Island Rowing: Coach’s safety launch.
- BI Arts and Humanities Council: New computer equipment.
- BI Child Care Centers: Outdoor climbing structure.
- BI Farmers Market: Credit-card processing terminal enabling the market to accept Electronic Benefits Cards from individuals on the government nutrition assistance program.
- BI Special Needs Foundation: Construction of access ramp to Stephens House.
- Friends of Bainbridge High School Sailing: Critical fleet maintenance equipment and materials.
- Gymnastics Program of BI Metro Parks & Recreation: Pommel horse for boys’ competitive gymnastics team.
- Hope House of Bainbridge Island: Desktop computer, two laptop computers, and printer.
- Housing Resources Board: Upgrade of 10 bathrooms at Island Home apartment complex.
- Interfaith Volunteer Caregivers: Replacement parts for two computers.
- Island Music Center: Audio-visual system.
- Island Time Activities: Used mini-van.
- KiDiMu: Installation of a sound system that incorporates the sounds of the community into interactive permanent “Our Town” exhibit.
- Ovation!: Portable dance floor for rehearsal and classroom studio.
The Rotary Club of Bainbridge Island and all of the recipients of Community Grants over the years, thank you for your support of the Bainbridge Island Rotary Auction & Rummage Sale!