Reuse, Reduce, Recycle
The Rotary Auction & Rummage Sale is arguably the largest event on Bainbridge Island that fulfills the three tenets of waste reduction: Reuse, reduce, recycle.
- Items that are sold are reused and thus reduce the need to buy new.
- Items that are unsold are reused through donations to nonprofit organizations or recycled to the greatest extent possible.
To accomplish our goals of environmental stewardship, the Rotary Auction developed two innovative programs: The Green Team and Harvesting.
The Green Team: Making a Difference
Our Green Team is a large group of hardworking volunteers dedicated to ensuring that items not sold at the Rotary Auction & Rummage Sale go to good use, rather than to the landfill. This team works throughout the pre-Auction period, Sale Day and overnight into the post sale morning after to sort, recycle, and identify for repurposing, all the materials that cannot be sold. The Green Team has five major divisions:
- The Land of Opportunity, where team members identify and divert unsold items to nonprofits and recycling endpoints during collection week;
- The Recycling Team, who helps manage and sort all recyclable materials during collection week and sale day;
- The Food Team, ensuring compostables, recyclables and trash get properly sorted from volunteer and auction meals;
- The Green Team Desk, which is command central for all green team activities during collection week; and
- The post-sale diversion teams, who coordinate and facilitate the movement of materials not sold at auction to nonprofit organization and recycling
Questions? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org