Where the Money Goes
Money Where It Matters
The Bainbridge Island Rotary Auction & Rummage Sale has been a local institution for 60 years. Every summer, our community members donate their no-longer-needed possessions, and we at the Bainbridge Island Rotary Club turn those donated items into dollars for good. Thanks to our community’s generous support, over the past five years (2015-2019) we invested nearly $2 million in our local and international communities.
In 2020, we migrated to an online auction platform. We’re back at it in 2021 with another online event, and this year it’s bigger and better! As always, 100% of proceeds are returned to the community. The sale of your donated items makes an impact in the lives of real people in many ways. With your help, we:
- Fund community grants to nonprofit organizations
- Build large community projects such as parks and sports fields
- Provide college scholarships to local students
- Fund international humanitarian projects such as drilling wells in Uganda and providing sanitation equipment in Guatemala
- Address the local impact of COVID-19
Proceeds from this year's Online Auction & Rummage Sale will be used in the same ways.
The Rotary Club of Bainbridge Island is honored to support local nonprofits in the essential work they do, by awarding grants for capital items. Over the past 10 years, 93 nonprofit organizations have received community grant awards totaling $1,163,000. Learn more.
Large Community Projects
Funding large projects that benefit the community-at-large has been a pillar of our Rotary Club. Most recently, funding has supported:
- Bainbridge Public Library’s “Refresh, Revitalize, and Renovate Project”;
- Reconstruction and upgrades of the Rotary Field complex, including funding for Owen’s Playground
- Construction funding for the Fort Ward Community Hall, Kitsap Humane Society’s Pet Adoption Center, and the Bainbridge Youth Services facility.
From 2008 through 2020, we awarded 107 Community Service Scholarships and 20 Career/Technical Education Scholarships to Bainbridge High School seniors heading to colleges and universities. In addition, 17 career and technical scholarships have been awarded. We're so proud of these students! Learn more.
International Humanitarian Projects
The Rotary Club of Bainbridge Island has a rich history of humanitarian projects, undertaken to improve the quality of life of less advantaged people around the world in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. We partner with other Rotary Clubs and NGOs in leading projects focused on water, sanitation, disease prevention/treatment, education, and economic development. Learn more.
Other Local Causes
In 2020, Rotary Auction & Rummage Sale funds were used to assist organizations with immediate COVID-19 needs.
100% of Rotary Auction & Rummage Sale proceeds are used for charitable purposes. All Rotary Club operating costs are funded through membership dues and are maintained in a separate account.